Can mold from water damage make you sick?

Exposure to humid and musty environments can cause a variety of health effects, or none at all. Some people are sensitive to mold. For these people, exposure to mold can cause symptoms such as nasal congestion, wheezing, and redness or itching of the eyes or skin. Black mold, also called Stachybotrys chartarum, is a toxic substance that feeds on organic materials.

The organic materials you seem to like the most are found in things around the house, such as insulation, subfloors, carpets, drywall and upholstery. As it develops, it can release spores into the air, where humans inhale and ingest them. Regular ingestion of black mold spores can cause symptoms that are hazardous to health. It thrives especially in damp and dark places, so standing water that is allowed to dry on carpets, drywall and other places is particularly dangerous.

While it's called black mold, it can also look green and has a musty smell that's quite noticeable. Mold is a word that can cause homeowners to panic, especially when we relax after a summer with record temperatures and humidity. But what really is the dreaded intruder? Could it be the culprit of those unexpected summer illnesses? “Molds are naturally occurring fungal growths,” said Dr. Jonathan Spahr, D.

This makes our homes a big target during the summer. Mold growth accelerates when you are indoors. The tiny reproductive cells of molds, called spores, are easily released into the air, and an enclosed space amplifies their ability to come into contact with each other. There are hundreds of species of mold.

Some of these species are less dangerous, such as penicillin, which has antibacterial properties and is used as an antibiotic. However, others can make you sick. These tiny spores could cause a range of health problems, especially in people with respiratory problems, allergies or a compromised immune system, said Dr. Symptoms of mold exposure may include headache, sore throat, runny nose, coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, and fatigue.

Asthma attacks can occur in people with asthma. Serious infection can occur in people with impaired immune systems. Here are ways you can prevent the spread of mold and what you can do to get rid of it. Because of this, it is always ideal to clean regularly with agents that eliminate mold or with professional mold remediation.

One of the main causes of mold is to improperly repair, clean and dry a space after water enters the house. The best way to prevent the development and spread of black mold is to control humidity in all areas of the home. When water enters your home, it can seep into walls, upholstery, carpets, and many other nooks and crannies. The best thing to do after excess water has entered your home is to have a professional clean, repair, and restore the affected area.

It may seem that everything has dried up, but if it is not properly and professionally cleaned it can become a breeding ground for black mold, which is a disgusting substance that causes serious problems for you and your family. The time it takes for mold to leave the body will depend on the previous level of exposure. Whether it's a storm, a pipe leak, or even the water that was used to fight a fire, water damage can have a lasting effect, even after it looks like it's been cleaned. If you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of having water leaks, let a professional, such as the experts at BMS CAT, help you clean it properly.


Adele Estrin
Adele Estrin

Passionate coffee guru. Hardcore beer scholar. Incurable pop culture geek. . Evil twitter trailblazer. Professional beer geek.

Leave Message

All fileds with * are required