Is water damage mold toxic?

However, mold that grows in your home can cause health problems, allergies, and permanent damage.


mold can grow quite quickly and can be extremely dangerous if you don't get rid of it. Let's take a closer look at how water causes mold growth, why it's harmful, and how to properly analyze it in your home. Black mold, also called Stachybotrys chartarum, is a toxic substance that feeds on organic materials.

The organic materials you seem to like the most are found in things around the house, such as insulation, subfloors, carpets, drywall and upholstery. As it develops, it can release spores into the air, where humans inhale and ingest them. Regular ingestion of black mold spores can cause symptoms that are hazardous to health. It thrives especially in damp and dark places, so standing water that is allowed to dry on carpets, drywall and other places is particularly dangerous.

While it's called black mold, it can also look green and has a musty smell that's quite noticeable. In addition to property damage, flooding and excess moisture can create a host of potentially serious health risks. Microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses can thrive in these humid, polluted climates. Mold damage caused by water causes health risks.

In the case of stagnant water, they can go from being waterborne problems to being transmitted through the air very quickly. This is why cleaning and restoration should begin immediately, but also why your health should be a major concern in any work to repair water damage. Take preventive measures at the first signs of water leaking into your home to reduce the chance of a mold infestation. Not only is using a dehumidifier beneficial for flood cleaning, but the continued use of a household dehumidifier can help keep humidity levels low and prevent mold growth.

Stagnant water also acts as a breeding ground for mosquitoes, which can spread malaria, as well as for a large number of bacteria, including E. One of the main causes of mold is to improperly repair, clean and dry a space once water enters the house. There are plenty of preventative measures to make sure your home is spore-free after water damage, but it's important to act quickly. Whether it's a place damaged by water or just a normal day in your home, maintaining a low relative humidity level and reducing excessive amounts of moisture is the key to a clean and safe living environment.

Although the humidity level is reduced to levels inhospitable to mold, there is still the problem of eliminating colonies that already exist. While mold has beneficial uses, exposure to mold and its spores can cause a variety of reactions, from eye, skin, nose and throat irritation to asthma attacks. The best way to prevent the development and spread of black mold is to control humidity in all areas of the home. Water damage not only causes this fungus, but it also creates the perfect atmosphere for a colony to move in and be the worst roommate you can imagine.

It may seem that everything has dried up, but if it is not properly and professionally cleaned it can become a breeding ground for black mold, which is a disgusting substance that causes serious problems for you and your family. Water damage is a serious problem that causes more problems than property damage, wet walls, and wet floors. If water comes into contact with walls, doors, ceilings or carpets, be sure to dry the area immediately with plenty of towels and a dehumidifier, and remove wet furniture. .

Adele Estrin
Adele Estrin

Passionate coffee guru. Hardcore beer scholar. Incurable pop culture geek. . Evil twitter trailblazer. Professional beer geek.

Leave Message

All fileds with * are required